Dandruff is a common skin condition that affects scalp. It is estimated that half of the adults are affected by this condition. The male population is more affected than the female population.
The exact cause is unknown but the environmental and genetic factors have a role in causing dandruff.
The main symptoms a person with dandruff will have to face are:-
- Itching of the scalp
- Flaking skin of the scalp
If the condition is associated with redness and itching not only on the scalp but also over the face, the condition is called seborrheic dermatitis.
In scalp psoriasis person may present with large silver scales and bigger lesions.
Dandruff is one of the main causes of hair fall. When left untreated the person may suffer from depression or low self esteem.
Dandruff in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda according to the condition or presentation the dandruff can be treated in many ways.
After assessing the Dosha and the condition the patient can be subjected to:-
- Shiro lepana:- In this procedure medicated paste is applied on the scalp and left there for a specified time. Later the paste is washed off.
- Shira kshalana:- medicated decoctions or liquids are used to wash the hair and scalp to cure the condition.
- Shiro abhyanga:- in this procedure medicated oils are used to massage the scalp and hair.
- Shodhana chikilsa:- The purification therapies like blood letting, Vamana, virechana and Nasyam are used to eliminate the doshas.
The treatment to be done is decided by the physician after assessing the the vitiated doshas. The treatment should be done under the strict supervision of the physician. A patient should follow the instructions of the physician to get maximum result.